Currently Reading:

Currently Reading:

Station Eleven

by: Emily St. John Mandel


Monday, July 14, 2008

Twice-Baked Garlic Loaded Potatoes

I have been making this recipe for a while. It started when I half-hearted started using weight watcher recipes. I found this because as a foodie I am drawn towards potatoes! You cook them - I'll eat them....my favorite is the fried potatoes that my grandpa used to make me (that his sister now makes me identically). But I like them mashed, fried, french fried, baked, hash browns, au graten...in soup...yummmmmmm!


So I've been wanting to make this for a couple of days and finally pushed myself into the kitchen and started the oven.

Twice-Baked Garlic Loaded Potatoes

Ingredients:
4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed
1 garlic bulb, point sliced off
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 slices of microwave ready bacon (the pre-cooked kind is easiest).
pinch of paprika


Preheat oven to 425 degrees with rack in middle position. add potatoes onto a cookie sheet. Place garlic bulb cut side up in a piece of aluminum foil and close. Set garlic on cookie sheet and place in oven to cook for 50-60 minutes (until potatoes are tender and garlic is browned and softened. Let potatoes and garlic cool until comfortable to handle (about 15 minutes).

Halve potatoes lengthwise; scoop the pulp into a large bowl, leaving the skins intact. Squeeze out garlic into the same bowl add milk, Parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper into potato mixture. Stir and mash with a fort to desired texture then spoon back into potato skins; sprinkle with a bit more cheese and paprika.

Return to oven until heated through and cheese is melted (tops are slightly browned). Top with crumbled bacon and serve!

Now the Weight Watcher version uses 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth and 1/2 cup non-fat sour cream and the Parmesan just on top. 4 large baking potatoes would serve 8 with 3 points per serving...not including the extra cheese, milk or bacon of my recipe...but mine is a meal...yum!

No comments: