Currently Reading:

Currently Reading:

Station Eleven

by: Emily St. John Mandel


Friday, February 1, 2013

My New Go To Chili Recipe

Holy Cannoli Batman!  I've been itching to make chili now for more than 2 weeks. It just sounds good. Maybe I am feeling sympathy for all my friends and family in the Midwest where the temperatures are negative. (Did I mention how happy I am to be out in the Pacific Northwest!)

Anywho, So tonight I decided to actually get off my butt and make it for dinner. I had previously looked at recipes the last two days for one that I liked but I came up with things that just looked ok, but not "Oh my heavens, I HAVE to make that."

sort of like this little beauty...that is currently on my list of things to drool over everyday until I make it. If I just made your mouth water...here is the link for the recipe:
Triple-Chocolate Mousse Cake


Seriously...when I have a stressful day I'd like a couple of these puppies to make things so much better, wouldn't you?

So anyway...my Husband and I ate this chili for dinner, The seasonings were all eyeballed so the following recipe was the best guess. The Rotel tomatoes and green chiles do have a heat to them (in case you need to cut out all spice).  The review from the husband was: "zomg that's good." He gobbled the entire bowl up. He also attempted to downplay how good it was so he could have more (to save others from having to have a bowl).


 My Chili
2 packages of sirloin tip steaks, chopped into bite size pieces
1.25 lbs ground beef
2 green peppers
10 mini sweet peppers (or 1-2 red, yellow, or orange peppers), diced
1 medium onion, diced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 can tomato sauce
1 can butter beans (could use two) drained & rinsed
1 can tri-blend beans (kidney, black, and pinto) drained & rinsed
1 can sweet corn, drained
1 can of water
Chili powder
Cumin
Oregano
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
1 can of Guinness beer
1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Cornstarch
1 scallion, chopped (greens only)


In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add steak pieces (do two batches if you need to) Brown pieces, season with salt and pepper and set aside. Meanwhile in a second pan, brown beef, season lightly with chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
Once steak pieces are cooked, sauté onions in stock pot with a splash of oil. Add green peppers and sweet peppers and garlic, deglaze with the beer. Add tomato sauce, 1 can of water, add both beans, add corn, and both meats. Stir to combine.  Add 1 ½ palmfuls of chili powder, 2-3 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder and onion powder,  1-2 Tbsp oregano. Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper.  Stir to combine spices. To thicken. Take ¼ to ½ cup of just the liquid part of the chili into a bowl or cup. Add generous sprinkle of cornstarch (maybe 3-4 Tbsp) and whisk until combine. Add back to chili. (I did this twice).  Cook for 15 minutes on stove top to meld flavors.  Serve with shredded Pepper Jack Cheese, garnish with chopped scallions and tortilla chips on the side.


And in case you don't like my recipe and are still searching for your favorite chili recipe Check out this one:


 

No comments: