Currently Reading:

Currently Reading:

Station Eleven

by: Emily St. John Mandel


Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Great Aunt Lu's "Hot Sauce"

While visiting my Great Aunt Guadalupe on the Olympic Peninsula, she made some home made "hot sauce" for her husband Jerry. Well I tried it and it was addictive in a good, so I asked for the recipe. I loved it because it was so spicy you wanted more but not too spicy to keep going. Aunt Lu thought it was way too hot (and she is more Mexican than I) and even had to drink some milk to calm her tongue down. Jerry Loved it. Lu put this salsa into my scrabbled eggs the next morning - home made Huevos Rancheros!

The first thing the recipe calls for is 3 jalapeños and this is how Aunt Lu told me to prepare them:

This is the completed salsa:


I don't think it's as spicy as my Aunt Lu's but I did just try it and the jalapeño flavor is sinking in some with the rest.

LuLu's Hot Sauce:

3 jalapeños
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 cup onion chopped (can add more)
1/2 can tomatoes chopped (about 4 ounces for a small batch)
a dash of salt and pepper
1/2 tsp of vinegar and oil
1/8 tsp of white sugar

Simmer the 3 peppers for 20 minutes until they are soft. wrap them in a wet paper towel and then a dry paper towel, leave set for 5 minutes. *Unwrap and take the seeds and membranes out. Chop all other ingredients finely and blend together. Serve with crackers, chips, eggs, and other things that would use hot sauce or salsa.

* Warning: Please wear gloves when chopping Jalapeñod. If braving the chop without gloves make sure to thoroughly wash your hands before touching your eyes. Jalapeños can burn the eyes and if you have dry skin can get in the cracks and burn for hours. I know from first hand experience. I chopped one, then washed my hands really well but it was in Minnesota in the winter and my hands were so dry that the Jalapeño turned my hands red and burned through the next day. Needless to say I wear gloves now when handling them.

How I strayed from the original: Well I added 2 red bell peppers, a full white onion, 3 extra garlic cloves, and way too many tomatoes (was trying to use some up). I also added 1 tsp of vinegar because there was so many veggies.

What I would do different next time: I think for the salsa I would add less tomatoes. I will try it just as Lu made it next time to see if mine was as hot.

Also I made baked cod with roasted veggies for dinner tonight. I took frozen pub-house battered cod and bake it at 425 for 15 minutes and roasted potatoes, zucchini, and yellow squash with a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper. I sprinkled grated Parmesan cheese over the top and served it like this. Jeremy took the salsa and dabbed some on the cod. We've had this before. It's pretty simple and the zucchini is sweet, potatoes perfect, and Parmesan just enough.
Over all rating from the husband on a scale of one to ten was: 8. It's a keeper.

Tomorrow I am going to try some baking of some sort.

No comments: