Currently Reading:

Currently Reading:

Station Eleven

by: Emily St. John Mandel


Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ratatoullie

Well I decided I would like to try to make Ratatoullie from Smitten Kitchens website last week. We bought a Mandolin slicer with one of our wedding gift cards and I wanted to work with it to get better at using it. Ratatoullie made perfect sense. I had zucchini in the fridge to use up and the rest is all fresh veggies.

So I came home from work and set to work slicing. The Zucchini and yellow Squash went quite well, as did the red pepper, however when I started slicing the egg plant is where I ran into issues. I sliced my thumb straight down the middle as well as on the side (both cuts on my left hand (I am left-handed). It was a big cut with blood and I was worried for a bit about having to get stitches. This mainly worries me because I use my hands for teaching art and that would put me out of commission somewhat. But I stanched the blood and bandaged it and went back to work. Everything smelled wonderful Thyme, Oregano, Majoram, and Basil. While that baked in the oven I boiled red skin potatoes and sauteed some chicken in a pan. I topped everything with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. My husband thought was great. I was partial to the potatoes and chicken, but am willing to experiment more with the recipe and try again. It sounds and looks great. I had enough veggies to make two dishes so I passed on along to my neighbor and she texted me later that night saying it was really good!

While I was gone this weekend my husband ate more of the leftovers but didn't realize that the chicken wasn't in the dish...so he was still hungry later on and didn't know why until he found out there was no chicken in the actual dish. Silly Husbands!

No comments: