Currently Reading:

Currently Reading:

Station Eleven

by: Emily St. John Mandel


Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Book Review #1 of 2013

Last year I read 68 books in a year. This year I'd like to keep a bit more information about the books I'm reading for others that might or might not care.

Okay so I have to point out that the cover of this book does not make me "swoon". I really contemplated posting it(okay I will...below - but be warned...This guy is better to look at!)

<~~~This is Rupert Penry Jones when he played Captain Wentworth on Masterpiece Classic's last version of Persuasion (Isn't he dreamy?) I believe this was in 2008. It's the version I have watch over and over and over...

I took this book review format from my friend Erin. She is Hilarious. But don't take my word for it.



Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic as Retold through His Eyes  by Regina Jeffers



Synopsis: Witty, romantic and insightful, this novel retells the love affair at the heart of Jane Austen's Persuasion from the perspective of the suitor--Captain Wentworth. Written in the language of the era, Captain Wentworth's Persuasion re-creates the original style, themes and sardonic humor of Jane Austen's novel while turning the entire tale on its head in a most engaging fashion. Readers hear Captain Wentworth's side of this tangled story while gazing into his thoughts and emotions.

Wentworth initially suffers rejection and frustration because the titled Elliots do not consider him good enough for their daughter Anne. Despite her feelings for Wentworth, Anne allows others to persuade her to break off their engagement. Eight years later, when Wentworth returns from fighting against Napoleon's army, the difficult years of war have reversed fortunes. Now it is he who is rich, having won many prizes in battle, while the Elliots are deeply in debt and in danger of losing their good name.

Will Wentworth seek revenge by choosing another woman over his former love? Can he walk away from Anne, or will the memory of her lips and her touch capture his love once again?

(this is the blurb from Amazon...It's very dramatic when you read it...but if you know the story it's sort of like 'really, "will he seek revenge..."come on...' Only a Jane Austen fan would pick this book up really so they already know the story, Amazon.)
Readability: It is set in a period where there was a bit more formal language but I did not have trouble reading it. I have however read the original Persuasion (and seen the movie enough to know the story very, very well) so I might be bias.
Predictability: Well as I said above...I knew the story. But Ms. Jeffers does continue on a bit where Persuasion left off...I found that really intriguing and could read more if she wrote more.
Couldn't Put it Down Factor: I read this on my cell phone through our library check out. I was about 50% of the way through last night and started at seven p.m. after the Munchkin was down for the night. The next thing I knew it was midnight...and I was finished with the book and staring at the pile of dishes that were waiting to be washed.
Recommend it?: YES!
Overall Rating: 5 stars from this Janeite! If you like reading the spin offs from Jane Austen, this one will be a nice touch of re-visiting the story. You may also like Mr. Darcy's Story.

No comments: