Currently Reading:

Currently Reading:

Station Eleven

by: Emily St. John Mandel


Monday, January 28, 2013

Meatless Monday Meal: Orzo & Roasted Veggie Salad w/ Beans

I made a second recipe from this cook book for my husband's work lunch today. 

It was a very easy recipe to make because I had left over roasted vegetables in the fridge that needed eating but nothing to put with them. 

Confession: This meal is vegetarian...my husband is pretty carnivorous...I am not sure how it will fair for a meal but I did end up adding some beans to the recipe because I was worried it wouldn't be enough for him. (stay tuned for the review).  Here is a picture of the salad all put together with his snack of an apple. I also included a smoothie (I prepared last week and froze for the lunches) for him to drink to give him a bit more "filling"

So this salad is super easy. Get your water on for the Orzo pasta. While waiting for the water to boil, in a bowl whisk 2 Tbsp Olive Oil with 1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice. I grated the zest from the lemon into the olive oil first. I also sprinkled with salt and a few cranks of my pepper grinder. I also decided to add beans to the recipe for some extra oompf (technical word). So while the pasta cooked I opened, drained, and rinsed a can of beans too.
Once the pasta is cooked, and drained. I tossed it with the olive oil/lemon juice mixture. Then I took a clear container and put a layer (maybe half) of the pasta on the bottom, then a layer of beans, then the left over roasted veggies, then more beans, then the last of the pasta and grated some Parmesan cheese to go on top (the recipe called for Feta or Parmesan). 


I will post again today about the smoothie, they are pretty darn good and I have a nice tip for you on how to make them on the weekend so they are ready for the weekday. Stay tuned for the review and the recipe.

1 comment:

Norma L said...

It looks good. I'll be interested in his response......